Monday, March 28, 2011

Moving with Cats - part 1 of many

We are embarking on a Great Adventure, moving from the very trendy life of San Francisco to the slightly crunchy life of Boone - in the mountains of NC. I will not go into the virtues of either life style since there is a time and a place for everything. It is now my time to return to the roots I wish I had.

I intend to chronicle this move to share with friends and family, to help me remember how painful moving really is (since I tend to move every few years) and to share with those that are facing a move.

We moved to San Francisco in October of 2004, about 6 1/2 years ago. We down-sized significantly from a sprawling house in Chapel Hill to fit into about a much smaller space in San Fran. The kids were grown so it was just us and the pets; Pebbles, an elderly but ferocious Yorkshire Terrier and 2 cats. R and I took the cats out first by airplane in the cabin. We gave them tranquilizers from the vet and they were quiet in their little Sherpa bags under the seats. I thought things were OK, but they were REALLY traumatized. It took about 3 weeks before they would eat and drink and use the litter box. I thought they were going to die. I went back and finished packing and loading the truck, and brought Pebbles out in one of the Sherpa bags. Although the trip was stressful for her, she was much calmer. I don't think I tranquilized her.

Pebbles past away after a long and well-loved life and now we are faced with moving back with 2 somewhat mature cats. Janet is 17 and is a very dignified, but intolerant cat. Pinky is 15, has always been insane and is becoming more unstable as she gets older. Neither one really wants to move I think.

I've been trying to picture putting them on airplanes and moving them back, but just can't see it having a good ending, so we have decided to opt for the ...

Romantic Cross-Country Drive with Cats.



Janet

Pinky

1 comment:

  1. What scenic stops do you have planned for them? They would probably like to see the worlds largest ball of string. Can't wait to hear how the leash training turns out.

    ReplyDelete